Office: Kresge 3-255
Ph.D. Brown University. Jennifer Lackey specializes in epistemology and philosophy of mind. Her recent research focuses on the epistemology of testimony, norms of assertion, epistemic luck, credit for knowledge, and the epistemic significance of disagreement. She has co-edited (with Ernest Sosa) The Epistemology of Testimony (2006, Oxford University Press) and is the author of Learning from Words: Testimony as a Source of Knowledge (2008, Oxford: Oxford University Press). She has been the recipient of a Charles A. Ryskamp Research Fellowship through the American Council of Learned Societies (2007-2008), as well as a Summer Stipend through the National Endowment for the Humanities. She is also a winner of the Young Epistemologist Prize (2005).
- Learning from Words: Testimony as a Source of Knowledge (2008), Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- The Epistemology of Testimony (2006), co-edited with Ernest Sosa. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Volume of all new articles in the epistemology of testimony. This collection includes papers by Robert Audi, C.A.J. Coady, Elizabeth Fricker, Richard Fumerton, Sanford Goldberg, Peter Graham, Jennifer Lackey, Keith Lehrer, Richard Moran, Frederick Schmitt, Ernest Sosa, and James Van Cleve.
Selection of Recent Articles
- “What Should We Do When We Disagree?” forthcoming in Tamar Szabó Gendler and John Hawthorne (eds.), Oxford Studies in Epistemology (Oxford: Oxford University Press).
- "What Luck Is Not." Australasian Journal of Philosophy (forthcoming).
- "Norms of Assertion." Noûs 41 (2007): 594-626.
- "Why We Don't Deserve Credit for Everything We Know." Synthese 158 (2007): 345-61.
- "Learning from Words." Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 73 (2006): 77-101.
- Winner of the 2005 Young Epistemologist Prize.
- "Memory as a Generative Epistemic Source." Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 70 (2005): 636-58.
The Department welcomes visiting pre-doctoral fellow, Breno Guimaraes Santos.
Department of Philosophy
1860 Campus Drive
Evanston, IL 60208
Department Newsletter (PDF)