All first- and second-year students will be assigned by the Director of Graduate Studies to a faculty advisor.
The responsibilities of the advisor are:
- to offer advice about course selection in order to ensure that students can satisfy all course requirements by the end of their second year,
- to contact students several times a year, in order to discuss any academic problems they may be having,
- to discuss with students any personal difficulties that are affecting their work,
- to present the student’s point of view at the annual meeting at which student progress is monitored, and
- to advise the student regarding the writing of petitions and appeals addressed to the Department.