The Northwestern Society for the Theory of Ethics and Politics (NUSTEP) hosts an annual spring conference in moral and political philosophy. We are proud that the conference has an established reputation as a constructive and collegial event addressing some of the most difficult and important questions of moral and political philosophy. The three-day conference features two invited keynote addresses and submitted papers by both faculty and graduate students as well as ample time for informal discussion. This year the conference will be May 9 - 11, 2019 at Northwestern University - Evanston.
We welcome submissions from faculty and graduate students, as some sessions will be reserved for student presentations. Please submit an essay of approximately 4000 words. Essay topics in all areas of ethical theory and political philosophy will be considered, although some priority will be given to essays that take up themes from the work of Peter Railton and Sarah Stroud: action theory, consequentialism, evolution and morality, personal relationships and partiality, metaethics, moral demandingness, moral psychology, subjective well-being, and weakness of will. Essays should be prepared for blind review in word, rtf, or pdf format. Graduate submissions should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org; faculty submissions should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com. The deadline for submissions is February 1, 2019. Notices of acceptance will be sent by March 15, 2019. For more information, please contact Kyla Ebels-Duggan at the e-mail address above.
2019 Keynote Addresses:
Peter Railton (University of Michigan)
Sarah Stroud (University of North Carolina)
- Conference Itinerary (TBD)
- A booklet containing participant's papers will be distributed at the conference.
- Hotel Information
- A room block has been reserved at the Hilton Orrington Hotel in Evanston for the nights of May 8 – May 12, 2019. Reservations can be made through this block until Friday, April 5, 2019. Rates are $155/night for a single bedroom. Reservations can be made by calling 1-800-HILTONS (1-800-445-8667). Notify yourself as being with the NUSTEP Conference to receive the group rate when you call. (To confirm your reservation, the hotel requires a guarantee of the first night's room rate and tax, which may be provided by credit card. Reservations canceled 48 hours prior to arrival will be charged for 1 night's room and tax.)
- Transportation to NU Campus
- Lunch and Dinner Options in Evanston
- Tourist Attractions
The conference is free and open to the public.
Please forward any inquiries to Kyla Ebels-Duggan.
- 2018 Niko Kolodny, Sharon Street
- 2017 Marcia Baron, Kieran Setiya
- 2016 Nomy Arpaly, Pamela Hieronymi
- 2015 Frances Kamm, Joseph Raz
- 2014 Tamar Schapiro, Gary Watson
- 2013 Talbot Brewer, Sarah Buss
- 2012 Harry Frankfurt, T.M. Scanlon
- 2011 Philip Pettit, R. Jay Wallace
- 2010 Elizabeth Anderson, Christine Korsgaard
- 2009 Samuel Scheffler, Seana Shiffrin
- 2008 Susan Wolf, J. David Velleman
- 2007 Barbara Herman, Stephen Darwall