Skip to main content

Declaring a Major or Minor

For general aspects of declaring a major in the College, please refer to the information provided by the Office of Undergraduate Studies and Advising.

How to Declare a Major or Minor in Philosophy

  1. Visit Ben Miller in the Department Philosophy's office, and get the necessary form. He will also assign you to one of our undergraduate advisers. This year's advisers are Professers Axel Mueller, Sean Ebels-Duggan, Ken Sesskin, Penelope Deutscher, and Michael Glanzberg. 
  2. Set up a meeting with your assigned adviser via email, or drop by during their office hours. The advisor will try to answer your questions, help with course selection, and sign the form.
  3. Take the top copy of the form to the Office of Undergraduate Studies (1922 Sheridan Road), and bring the carbon copy back to Ben.

Note: In order to declare the major, you will also be required to submit a copy of a paper you wrote for an introductory level (100 or 200 level) philosophy course, preferably for your first philosophy course that you took at Northwestern; this paper is requisite for the purposes of departmental assessment and will not be used in any way that affects your own academic standing.

Back to top