Why Study Philosophy?
Philosophy develops critical reasoning skills, clarity in thought and language, and competence in synthesizing a good deal of information into a systematic, coherent picture. These abilities form a core part of the skill set for anyone who hopes to flourish in a complex, diverse, multicultural world.
It is noteworthy that, as a group, philosophy majors do exceptionally well on many standardized tests required for graduate and professional schools, including the LSAT and the GRE. Given its own curriculum, but also its central position between the special sciences (humanities and natural sciences alike), philosophy is relevant to foundational and conceptual questions arising in almost all other disciplines, with which it often shares its subject matter. Therefore, philosophy is not only a great choice for those who love its own questions, but also an ideal double major for people who want to explore the depths beneath the fields of their other major.
In addition, Philosophy is particularly useful to those who are thinking about certain post-college careers in law, business, education, politics, medicine, and social activism. For an illustration of this, see the following reports and information on the uses of a philosophy major for your professional life:
- Philosophy Projected as Top-Paid Class of 2016 Humanities Major
- NU Undergraduate Kimberly Clinch, reflecting on the relations between Philosophy and Physics
- Liberal Arts are good for medicine
- The philosophy major offers an excellent 'return on investment'
- Schumpeter: "Philosopher Kings: Business leaders would benefit from studying great writers"
- UC Berkeley journal finds: Philosophy's popularity soaring!
- LinkedIn founder Reid Hoffman, philosopher, billionaire
- Huffington Post on How philosophy majors are changing the business world
- 9 Business Execs who studied Philosophy
- "How to Be A Philosopher: Ian Ravenscroft Philosophizes about Philosophizing."
- "Philosophy majors outperform all other majors for the GRE"
- "Best education for Business Management? The Philosophy Major"
- "Be employable, Study Philosophy."
- "Wall Street Journal on the comparative earning potential of a Philosophy Major"
- "I think, therefore I earn."
- NU Philosophy information leaflet with reasons for double-majoring in Philosophy
- "Study of Philosophy Makes Gain Despite Economy"
- "Philosophy is Back in Business"
- "Multicultural Critical Theory. At Business School?"
- "What Can I Do With a Philosophy Degree?"
- Philosophy students' high mathematical and verbal competence revealed in a recent national study.
- Chicago Tribune weighs in on why to study philosophy.